Saturday, January 14, 2006

Longer days

The nights are pulling out now, and I was able to walk home from work in almost daylight tonight. Much better! Each year there somehow seems, to me, to be less and less really long dark evenings. Years ago they seemed to go on for ever and be a really long winter. Is it just my imagination or are they getting less.

Thinking of that expression I`ve just used, which is commonly heard when the days begin to get longer, set me wondering why do we say that the nights are pulling out, who first coined that phrase - or that one, come to think of it! Gosh, that`s three phrases in a short sentence. Where do they all come from?

But, getting back to the first one, it set me picturing a little old man or elf like figure somewhere literally pulling hard on a string to make the day light last longer. Strange how expressions can bring farcical pictures to mind isn`t it.

No comments: