Wednesday, November 30, 2005

More cooking

After making the Christmas Pudding yesterday, I decided to make the Cake today. So for the first time in umpteen years the cake`s made, as it should be, weeks beforehand!
So I`ve really excelled myself this year! Now all I`ve got to do is ice it, and it looks as if that might even get done before Christmas Eve this year.


I wondered as I made it, why despite the fact that we`ve got quite a number of recipe books, that for these two items I still go back to the old recipes that we`ve used time and time again, instead of using a perhaps slightly different one from a newer book. Is it because it`s out of habit or because it`s tried and tested, or traditional? Looking at the date on the yellowing page of the magazine that the Pudding recipe is on I found that it`s from the
“Woman`s Pictorial” 3rd. December 1949, price 4d. ! We`ve certainly had good value from that magazine recipe over the years.
Wonder if anyone else uses a magazine over 56 years old for a recipe?

No comments: