Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunday again

What little gems of wisdom (or not), am I going to write about today? I don`t really know. It` s been a pretty ordinary day.

I woke up to a beautiful sunny autumn morning, how lovely I thought, I`ll be able to go for a nice long walk this afternoon. But, what happened?.... by dinner time it was raining. I know that physically the rain doesn`t stop one walking, but its not that pleasant to walk in. So, as my parent and her friend were occupying the front room, and I didn`t want to join them, they`d probably go to sleep anyway, so I went and passed the time away on the computer. (yes we still call our rooms back room or living room, and front room, not lounge, sitting room or dining room as seems to be the modern way of referring to them. Wonder why others have changed to calling them that, is it just a way of "keeping up with the Jones"? - but I`m getting side tracked now, lets get back to my day).

I attended two services at our church today, and both were very good. The morning one I found very educational without being way above me. The Minister used everyday language and was very down to earth. She did talk and explain the background to how things would have been in Jesus` s day, his upbringing, how what he said and what he did would mean to people then and what they should mean to us today. It was very interesting. Different to how some of our local preachers just seem to use their sermons as a way to critise so much and to have a "dig" at their pet dislikes, or promote their favourite causes.
I also found myself riveted to listening to the evening preacher (something I hadn`t expected before I went!) . He came out of the pulpit and stood in the pews close to the congregation, and just talked about things that were in his life, and there was just so much in what he said. There was somehow a real tangible atmosphere of - I can`t really find words to describe it, but there was just somehow, something "there".

No comments: