Sunday, August 06, 2006

Mishap

I had a calamity out in the garden this afternoon. I went out there to have a quiet sit in the sun, well I should say in the shade, a simple enough thing to do, take my book, get a chair out of the summerhouse, then get the garden umbrella to put up.

I first checked all round the outside of the umbrella when I got it out of the shed incase there was any spiders on it, but no, all clear. But, then on starting to unfold it a largish spider dropped out almost on me, so I instinctively jumped quickly out of the way and made sure it ran in the opposite direction to me!

Then, as I got the umbrella partly opened, I spotted a bee in the inside top of it, which suddenly dropped off - again I jumped to avoid it getting on me and in the same instant I got a downpour of water over my foot and skirt!, for a second I couldn`t think where it had come from. Then I looked down and saw there was a fair size hole in the base of the umbrella stand, and I realised, I must have jumped on the base which was a kind of plastic and I suppose had got brittle over the years it had been out in the sun, and my foot had gone through it breaking a piece off, and hence the water shot over my foot.

So there I ended up sitting with the umbrella propped on its side, more like a wind break, but at least it kept the sun off, with a wet foot and skirt! How glamorous!!
(Still, I`m not a very glamorous person anyway, so it didn`t really matter.)

No comments: