Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A marvel of nature

Something that I always marvel over when I touch them, is feathers.

Here, in the picture of some from my little bird - No, before anyone gets worried, I didn`t pluck them from him, so there`s no need to call the animal protection societies! These he lost quite naturally.

To gently run my fingers along each one and I feel their absolute softness and silkiness, the way each individual strand clings to the next one, the soft curl on some of the small ones and the delicate colouring at the tips of them. The contrast in the stronger firmer wing and tail ones, which have such a distinct silky almost waxy, yet strong quality about them. The way that if you separate some strands on the wing ones and then smooth them back again, they just seem to lock back into place as if they`d never been disturbed. How wonderful. Who could make or invent such a thing of beauty as that today?

I wonder too, how many feathers does a bird have? Posted by Picasa

No comments: