Monday, August 28, 2006

"Catch"

I said on the Bowl Movement Cricket Club site, (yes, I`m a member of the virtual cricket team), that I`d write about my skill at catching.

In this instance, it wasn`t a cricket ball or any kind of ball that I was called upon to catch. As all good stories say… let me start at the beginning!

At the time of this occurance many years ago, I was working in a supermarket, and spent most of each working day on the check-out. This obviously involved dealing with a lot of members of the public, some very pleasant to get on with, some not so, and some that were quite eccentric at times in things they said or did. (I could write a book on them! - that`s ofcourse if I was better at writing, and not waffling on like I`m doing now!). Anyway, we had this elderly man come in regularly each day, and used to joke with us. One day from about half way down the aisle from the check-out he suddenly called out to me “catch”, I though he was having me on, as normal, but I instinctively stuck out my hands to catch…. and what did I catch? Yes, he did actually throw something…. and I caught it…. Thank goodness I did – it was a jar of jam!

I promise you that is a true story, and something I`ll never forget. After that, I used to try and hide if I saw him coming and we nicknamed him the jam-thrower.

No comments: