Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Thanksgiving service.

I`ve just attended a very beautiful, uplifting, thankful service for the life of a lady who has died. The service was like no other of its kind that I have been to for the atmosphere and the brightness and praise. (thankfully I`ve not been to too many, but seem to have attended more this year than ever in my life - maybe its my age catching up with me!).

The church was packed to bursting point with people and children of all ages. Lovely and moving tributes were given about the person, and I admired the courage of those who stood up to speak about a person they`d loved so much. But, what I really found made the most impression on me was during the singing of one of the hymns.

The organist really got all the hymns going with a good tempo and the volume of singing was terrific, but on this one verse in particular of the hymn Love Divine, where it says "changed from glory into glory, till in heaven we take our place, till we cast our crowns before thee, lost in wonder, love and praise", there was to me such a crescendo of music and voice that it seemed as if heaven and earth were actually joined at that moment. It`s something very difficult to describe and put into words, but it was to me an intense sensation and very strong feeling, whether anyone else there felt the same, I don`t know, but it certainly seemed to touch me, and is something I shall never forget.

Something else that that service made me think and realise, is that when I die I don`t want people to be sad, but that I would want a service of praise of that kind, and not a sad type service.

No comments: