Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fishermen


I recently came across what looked as if it might be an interesting book, it was on a bookstall at something I was at recently. It`s very rarely that I look at bookstalls, and even rarer that I purchase anything from them. But something made me stop and look, and amongst all the tables full of books this one caught my eye, so I decided to buy it.

This afternoon I`ve been sitting out in the garden reading it, and to my delight I found, amongst memories and experiences told by other old fisherment that I knew, (who have died since the book was written) that my great-grandad was mentioned two or three times.

It was so interesting to read of the life that they lived, to realise just how much hardship they did live through, and to realise what great characters they were. Their bravery in manning the lifeboats without thought for their own safety, and even when crab fishing how they "looked out" for one another when it blew up rough to make sure everyone of them got safely ashore. Although sadly, despite their concern for each other, that wasn`t always what happened, many did tragically lose their lives, trying to make their livelihood and living from the sea.

Thankfully my great-grandad did survive it, as did my grandad - but sadly both died before I was old enough to know them, and to hear about their lifes.

No comments: