Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Card hunting

It must be the heat.... but I can`t think what to write about again today. I could tell you about my chase around the shops in our town to buy a simple item, but would that really make intereting reading?

Assuming you`ve said yes!...
I was doing a simple photocopying job today of something that just had to be done ready for tomorrow, and I miscounted the sheets of coloured card that I`d got in the pack. Why do manufacturers confuse us by only putting 250 sheets of card in a ream, whereas paper has 500 sheets? Anyway, finding I`d only got half what I needed to do the job, thought, that`s no problem I`ll walk into the town and get another ream, either of 2 colours would be suitable.

So, off I went in the hot sun, straight to the stationery shop, searched the shelves, couldn`t find what I wanted, so next step, ask an assistant. Oh, no,we don`t use that much now, I don`t think we`ve got any, she helpfully said, but did then go and search all the shelves for me. I explained the desparate need I`d got for it, and she went and looked in their office as she said she knew they`d got a few sheets there, may be just enough for my need. Back she came, yes the colour was right, but - it was paper, not card.

So, off I went to another likely shop. Same process, searched the shelves, found an assistant, and was told, no we don`t have reams of card, we just buy a big pack of mixed colours and sell it at separate sheets, (these I discovered were 30p each),that was no good for my need of at least 100 sheets. She suggested I try a local discount type shop, off I went to the other end of the town. No they didn`t sell it, so the next thing was to walk home again and search out what odds and ends I`d got that might be possible if not the same colour, then walk back again in the still sweltering sun to where the machine was.
By the time I got there it was a good hour since I`d set out, and I was melting!
We then found a few more sheets of different coloured card there, and between the lot, I managed to get the job done.

But who would have thought it could be so difficult to buy a ream of thin card.

No comments: