Sunday, July 30, 2006

Church Attendance

They say Church attendances are dropping, and going by the service I attended this morning, I can easily see why. I felt sorry for any one who might have decided to come to the church for the first time today, I know if it had been me, I wouldn`t have gone again.

The preacher was an elderly gentleman, obviously a scientist, because what we had was a science lesson. At the start he instructed us that we were not to let our minds wander, nor to appear to close our eyes that he would be watching us.

There was not one, not two but three sermons within the service! And, I`m sure his watch kept different time to ours! The three ’talks’/sermons would be not more that 25 minutes altogether he said, - his maths are obviously different to mine - the first sermon was 20 minutes, the second 15 minutes and the last one almost 15 minutes - to my reckoning that makes a total of 50 minutes. The traditional hour long service went on for an hour and a quarter, but seemed more like two hours. Maybe its that I`m not scientifically minded, but after the first five minutes, I was totally lost on what he was talking about, and yes, my mind wandered for the rest of the time.

But, it really made me think - what does that sort of thing say to anyone unused to going to church?

No comments: