Friday, April 21, 2006

Kamikaze Pheasant

Can someone please teach pheasants the road drill to cross a road – to look right, look left, look right again and if there`s nothing coming to cross straight across. (and, don`t stop in the middle!)

One day this week I was driving back along a slightly winding but fairly main road in the early evening, it was just beginning to change from dusk to dark, when I saw a shape of something in the road ahead of me. It didn`t move. As I got closer I saw that it was a pheasant. It was on my side of the road a few feet from the grass verge and facing that way, but not making any effort to move.

What should I do? I didn`t want to run over it and kill it – I`d hate to do that to any animal. I`d got another car close behind me, I slowed and slowed but still it didn`t move, yet I could tell that it was alive because it was standing up. Panic – do I risk stopping and letting the other car run into me, because obviously he(or she) wouldn`t have a clue what I was doing they wouldn`t be able to see the pheasant.

In the split seconds I had to decide, I thought no, I daren`t stop that could cause an accident, sorry pheasant, I`ll try and get so that you hopefully go under the middle of the car and not under my wheels. I got, within about a foot of the bird when suddenly it must have realised itself what was going to happen and it flew up and just out to the right of me, thankfully alive and missing me.

Thinking about it afterwards, I wonder if perhaps it was mesmerised by the lights on my car which caused it to not know what to do? Either that, or it was very depressed and trying to commit suicide!

No comments: