Thursday, April 20, 2006

All Change?

Having worked in the same establishment for over 35 years, during that time I`ve seen many changes. The company when I joined had just a few outlets, it was then bought by a larger company, and has since then changed hands about six times. At times its difficult to really know who one works for! Now it looks to be about to change yet again.
When I started it was small and like an extended family, as it grew we still knew each other well and were a friendly bunch, but that gradually changed with the changes of management and attitudes and big business ideas. I`m not saying the `old hands` have lost the friendliness, we haven`t, but there seems a split between older and younger, but maybe that`s the way of the world now.

So will this be a change for the better? Since the news was given to us this week all the staff naturally keep coming up with lots of questions – what about our pensions? our discount? we`ve been told our jobs are safe – but will they be the same? Although probably with this change over we sense that us “lower down” may be safer than the management – after all, it could end up with too many chiefs and not enough Indians!

Am I worried about it? No, I don`t think I am – I`ve seen too many changes in the past, have put up with a couple of managers that haven`t been easy to get on with – and I`m still there, but they`ve gone! So, I`ll wait to see what happens, but I do think that this time it could be totally different.

No comments: