Monday, April 17, 2006

An afternoon with the birds


I`ve just spent an enjoyable afternoon walking round a wildfowl park. There is so much beauty in the different colours and patterns of feathers and features of the different ducks and geese. As well as the very brightly coloured Ibis`s. But then, sitting beside the window in the restaurant having a slice of delicious cream cake and a cup of tea, I saw something move on the ivy growing up the outside of the building, looking closer it was a little blue tit and in its beak it was holding some strands of moss. It just sat and looked at me for a second or two, then hopped a bit further and disappeared into the hole of a nest box, which I hadn`t noticed there before. During the time we sat there eating our cake and drinking our tea the blue tit kept flying back and forth, each time to a nearby roof where it was collecting the bits of moss to make its nest with.

It was lovely seeing all the ducks, and other birds, but what really delighted me was seeing that blue tit so close to and what he (she?) was doing just made my afternoon. I know I could probably have seen one in my own garden, but somehow seeing this one, so busy and so oblivious or so trusting of all the people that were around it, really was special. Sadly though it was too quick for me to get a photo of it.

I wonder too how many other people there spotted it, no one seemed to while I was there.

No comments: