Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Did you enjoy your trip?"

"Did you enjoy your trip?" That question was asked of me the other day, and it set me thinking and wondering why do we use the same word to mean different things. I`m not just talking about the word 'trip', but so many words in our language can have two or three completely different meanings.

You`ll probably assume by the question that I`d either been out for the day to somewhere, or been on a boat, or plane, or for a holiday, but the fact is it was none of those.

I was working in our church with a friend one day last week, and had gone out to get something. On coming back in through the door I stepped over an electical cable wire which was on the floor across the doorway from a hoover that someone else was using around the far side of the church, but having put one foot across it and about to put the second one over suddenly the cable wasn`t on the floor it was about 18 inches off the ground so caught my second foot, unable to save myself although I tried, I ended up going flat out full length in the centre aisle, with a good old wallop!
Fortunately, apart from two huge bruises on my knees and a slight graze on my arm, I didn`t do any serious damage.

But, my trip wasn`t a good one!

[If you`re wondering how the cable got to that height off the floor, the person vacuuming had pulled it to try and get a bit futher and hadn`t looked round before doing so]


No comments: