Saturday, August 11, 2007

Best Wine last?

I attended a wedding today, not of a young couple, but of an elderly couple. Both had been married before, and their partners had died, one fairly recently.
The Bible reading they had at the service was about Jesus`s first miracle of changing water into wine at the Wedding at Cana. At first I thought how appropriate to have a reading about a Wedding at a wedding, until I heard the line "Everyone else serves the best wine first and after the guests have had plenty to drink he serves the ordinary wine. But you have kept the best till now!"

Now, whether anyone else would think the same as me on hearing that, I don`t know, (probably not, because I come up with odd thoughts at times!) but I felt that it could sound very hurtful and upsetting to the children of the first marriage/s, if they took the wine to refer to the first and second wife/husband. No doubt it was their choice of reading, but it just seemed a little strange to me at that point.

Maybe I`m just going on personal feelings of how I felt (and still feel at times), over my parent seeming to be putting someone else in my Dad`s place after he had died and she found another man friend. Maybe others don`t have the same problem with it.

No comments: