Friday, July 20, 2007

Soothing Chores

Standing cutting potatoes into slices and then strips to make chips a short while ago, I suddenly realised (and I remember now noticing before), what a soothing effect doing that job was having on me! I felt completely contented, not in a rush, just allowing my mind to either wander or do nothing whilst my hands did the work. Whether it was the systematic, methodic way of just slicing potato after potato to about the same size chip, that had almost a hypnotic effect on me, I don`t know.

Then I got to thinking about another cooking task that has a similiar effect, and that`s standing stirring a saucepan of gravy, or custard or anything that one has to keep stirring round, and round, and round. I never seem to be short of patience to do that either, maybe there`s a deeper level to it, that as one stirs and watches the swirling of the liquid in the centre it`s possible to imagine worries and troubles dropping down into the centre of the vortex and disappearing.

I wonder if anyone else finds similiar experiences in cooking? Or in other mundane tasks?

No comments: