Saturday, July 07, 2007

Meeting a little old man

I had a lovely conversation with an elderly man at the event I was as yesterday - well, I say elderly although in years he is he really seems to be of indeterminate age because he`s got such a personality that he`s always cheerful and tormenting in the humourous remarkes that he comes out with, that he doesn`t seem anything like an elderly person.

Anyway, I`m digressing! After a jovial or two praising comments on the event, he suddenly said "you`re like your Dad" (whether he meant in looks or manner, i don`t know and didn`t ask) and then he went on to talk more about my Dad, how he used to always tease my Dad about always wearing a trilby, and the reply that Dad would make, and other such reminiscences. It made my day. It was so good to hear someone talk so easily and naturally about him. And, more than that, to know that someone else remembered Dad.

I wonder why it is, that people always seem afraid to talk about someone who has died making it seem as if they never exised?

This "old boy" for all his appearance and way, seems to have it right.

No comments: