Friday, March 17, 2006

What`s in a Name?

What`s in a name? House names always fascinate me, and when out walking I find myself looking at the name plates on people`s houses, bungalows and cottages. On some I can see why it has the name it has because of physical features, like Lilac Cottage which has a large lilac tree in the garden, Sea spray on a house a short distance from the beach, or Tides Reach - don`t think I fancy living there! Those type of names aren`t particularly out of the ordinary, neither are those like Dunroaming, or The Retreat, but the ones that I like are those that are out of the ordinary and that make me stop and wonder why they`ve called it by that particular name, and those that have a sense of humour about them. There used to be a house in our town called Idunno and on their garage they had Nordoi – that I thought was clever. One I saw today, at the end of a cul-de-sac also particularly struck me as witty it was called Outter Way.

I would be interested to hear too of other out of the ordinary names of dwellings readers of this have come across.

(Now whether you need a Norfolk accent to make sense of those, I don`t know – but if so, leave a comment and I`ll translate)

No comments: