Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Important Fingers

A bit more about hands…. Writing about the difficulty doing things without one finger, brought back to mind a story told to us as children in church, so it was many, many years ago.

I`ll retell it here:

The fingers on the hand were having an argument as to which was the most important.
“I`m the most important said the first finger, because I can point to things and show people the way, and I usually press the buttons to start things working”.

“No, you`re not the most important”, said the middle finger, “I`m bigger than you and stronger then you, and taller than you, so I`m the most important”

“You`re both wrong”, said the next finger “I`m more important than both of you because I show people`s love, they put their important rings on me”

The little finger was very quiet for a while, and then said “You`re all wrong, I`m the most important, because when we pray, I`m the one nearest to God”.

The Thumb then spoke up “You`re all important he said, because you all have a purpose and use, and none of you could work without the others or without me, so we all belong together and are all equally important as we work together.”

Obviously the preacher that morning certainly must have had a way of telling it which makes me remember after all these years this story that she told. Wonder what children will remember of stories in church in years to come.

No comments: