Thursday, March 09, 2006

Difficult spending

I had two gift vouchers given to me as a gift last Christmas. I greatly appreciated them and the thought behind them. But – I find it so difficult to spend them. Is it only me, or do others have the same dilemma?

It`s not that I can`t find the shop or place they`re to be spent at. In fact I`ve been wandering round one of them this afternoon. I`ve looked at this, and that, and the other, but yet – what to get with them, is another question altogether! I`ve come back without getting anything.

I can happily go shopping and look round and see and buy (finances allowing!) something that I want or takes my fancy, using cash or cheques etc. Yet, when it comes to spending a gift voucher it seems so difficult to know what to get with it. Is it, I wonder, because I want it to be `something special` or something worthwhile as the person has been kind enough to send me the vouchers. I don`t want to waste them by not getting the `right` thing with them. But to keep the vouchers and not spend them isn`t doing justice to them either, nor to the person who sent them for me to get myself something with. It somehow seems different spending my money to spending someone elses.

No comments: