Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Clever Creatures

I know some people might call them rodents and nuisances, but I love to see them... what am I talking about - squirrels.

Outside my parents window is a tree, so we decided to hang some peanuts, fat balls and seeds out for the birds. They hadn`t been hanging there long, when a squirrel appeared.


.
Now, how people can call animals dumb creatures, I don`t know. This little chap (or maybe chapess!!) soon worked out a way to get to the fare it wanted. We watched with interest as it climbed the tree, then seemed to look and think out which way to go about getting into the container of peanuts. Very quickly it decided that the only way was to reach out, hanging on by the very tips of its rear legs and it`s tail, while it stretched across to feed.



Then, getting a nut out of the wire container, it hung there upside down to eat it. before repeating the operation many more times.



It wasn`t long before another one joined him, this one though decided to go for the wild bird seed,



After a short while of trying to find out how to eat what he could see, but which was behind plastic, he found the small hole at the bottom where the seed comes out, and put his two front paws (are they paws in a squirrel?) pulled the container to him and got his head into the hole and ate the seed.


What wonderful clever creatures!

1 comment:

Lani said...

That's one way to look at it, I guess. I'm always trying to figure out how I can save my birdseed for the birds, though. The squirrels are still smarter than me, because I haven't figured it out yet.