Sunday, July 27, 2008

Moving Day

The moving day wasn`t without one or two hiccups!

It started well. The moving van and men to move the two big chairs arrived 10 minutes early, so that was a really good start to the day, and meant that I had time to go over to let them in and still be back here for the time I needed to be.

I`d left the staff to see the bed in when it arrived. On going over after an early lunch I found - yes the bed had arrived, but it was still all wrapped in its protective polythene coverings with no legs on it and not assembled up. Normally when this firm deliver to us they unpack everything, take the packaging away and see that items are installed in place. I stood there for a few minute beginning to panic as to what to do, as shortly my parent would be expecting to be collected and see a bed ready for the night. I knew I couldn`t get it in place on my own. I went looking for a member of staff and they quickly found a male member of staff to help me.

Problem solved.

Now just to wait for the man with the van with the fridge, tv and maybe the cooker. He arrived on time. I was impressed. I directed him to the best place to unload and he efficiently got the fridge out of the van, unpacked it outside, and carried the fridge in. It fitted into the allocated space, was plugged in and that was fine. Next he did the same with the cooker, it again fitted the space. He plugged it in to try in, and nothing happened. He tried various controls on it, but no sign (or feel) of life to it. Maybe its the socket, so he tried the plug in a different socket. Still nothing. Then I noticed that the light had gone off of the clock radio in the bedroom. A fuse had gone. So, whilst I went off the find a member of staff to sort that out (and anyone knowing me, will know that I don`t like having to do things like that and bother people and especially that day as they had a party going on), he went to get the tv in and unpacked.

Having done that he plugged the tv in and it worked. So, trying also the clock radio again we found that the power was back on. He tried the cooker again, yes, the light came on and one of the plates started to heat. Trying the switch for the other plate on it, the tv went off! so too did the clock radio! and the cooker!

Something to do with the cooker was blowing the fuses!! He said "I`ll go and phone my boss, while you find someone to put the power back on". I didn`t relish having to do that at all ! Anyway I found a different person this time and again, without any trouble, she found the key and did the necessary to reinstate the power.

Now we`ve to wait for an engineer to come out from the cooker manufacturers this week to sort it out. We could have ordered a replacement cooker from the shop (which could take a couple of weeks) or else have the engineer. I opted for the engineer, incase it did the same again with a replacement one, at least with the engineer he would see what happened with his product and could then if necessary replace it.

So, something that should have taken about half an hour to get done had ended up taking about three times that long. And although Mum would have a fridge and tv, she`d not have a cooker yet. And a BT telephone line will take another couple of weeks - but that`s another long story!!

Still, she moved in later that afternoon, and seems happy with the flatlet, which is a great relief.


Lani said...

Sounds like things went relatively smooth then. So glad your Mom seems to enjoy her new digs. Have you gotten rested up from all the excitement?

seethroughfaith said...

glad to hear the bed arrived at least :)