Thursday, November 01, 2007

Remembering

Today would have been my Dad`s birthday.
He would have been 85 today.
As I knelt at his grave earlier this afternoon putting flowers into the vase I found myself wondering what he would have been like now if he`d still been alive. Would his hair have receded, or gone white? would he still walk as briskly? would he.......???
He never seemed to look any older all my life, but what would another fifteen years have done to him if he had lived till today.
He never looked old,
he never seemed old,
he wasn`t old.
He was the world to me.

All Saint`s Day he was born on. So how appropriate it is to me especially that our church holds a service on that day to remember all our loved ones who have died. It is such a poignant one to attend and made more so for me because it`s Dad`s birthday. But it also is so good to have the time and space and quietness in which to remember and to give thanks for having had such a good Dad.

I treasure the memories I have of him, and I still miss him dreadfully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad died 10 years ago ... and I still miss him dreadfully too. I loved him because he loved me so much. That makes all the difference.