Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I can`t work"

"I can`t work...." I`d be rich if I had a £1 for everytime a member of staff where I work has said that recently.

Where, oh where have manners and courtesy gone to?

One of my jobs at work is preparing the staff schedules, an enjoyable job in its way. And in years gone by a fairly easy one, as people requiring time off would ASK, in advance, please can I have such and such a day, date, holiday off. Now suddenly in these last couple of years of so, it not "please can I have", it`s "I can`t work", or even "I`ve booked my holiday it`s ... so I need that week, (or however long) off". No thought is given to how many other people may be already on holiday or off or if the time is available. There`s just no consideration for anyone else these days, its all just self, self, self.

Where, oh where have manners and courtesy gone to? They need bringing back urgently!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you.

Is it - do you think - because people are either afraid of hearing *No* or just not used to it?

more importantly however - are you able to tell the staff this and ask them (grin) to ask you in good time if they want specific periods off?

I suppose there is some kind of rota (or known preferences ) so that they could check that first ... andthen come to you (in good time) if something needs to be adjusted.

In a way it's a healthy step that we are no longer work obsessed but it would be good to be respectful and polite aboutit and remember that you too have a job to do.

Bless

Ivy said...

I think its because they`re not used to having to think of anyone else except theirselves.

Yes, the`ve been told them must ask well in advance for days off,and before booking holidays away, but they ignore it. Some leave a note (eg on a Monday to say they can`t work on the Wednesday!), despite the rota being issued the previous week or even earlier, and the majority have set hours and days.

They don`t stop to think what happens when they all "can`t work" the same day/week!!!