Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fighting Spiders

I sure I`ve written here before of my dislike of spiders. Well, it`s that time of year when they seem to be everywhere. I know their webs look so beautiful stretched between bushes and shrubs sometimes glistening with raindrop or dew, or shining as the sun catches them. And I admire the cleverness of the way the creatures make them. But what I dislike is seeing the spider sitting in the middle of it, suspended in mid air.

I`m looking after a friends house this week, so went as normal to collect the mail in. Opened the garden gate (which I`m sure used to open the opposite side!), walked up the path towards the door I use, then, got stopped in my tracks. Either side of the path there are bushes and shrubs, but going across the path..... yes, you`ve guessed it.... there were big spider webs complete with spiders in the middle of them. And, not one, but three at least all spaced out, and all blocking my access to the door. There was no other way round it, or into the house for me. Aggghh... I stood there for several minutes, pondering what to do. I could no way brush the webs down with my hand because of the spider, I couldn`t walk through them because I`d get the spiders on me.

Then inspiration struck, I needed a stick or something to knock them down with, I`d nothing like it in the car, so I searched round a bit of garden, where there were no webs, and found a piece of twig about a foot long laying on the ground. Picking it up, I then went brandishing it at the spiders in the webs, knocking them to the sides of the path and back into the bushes, being very watchful that they didn`t cling to the stick, and demolishing the webs, and so I cleared my way to the door.
What anyone would have thought, if they had seen me, I daren`t think!

No comments: